When mailing members of your community, your first choice should always be to use the message community option.
However, mailing members via the clipboard has some cool advantages, but as nothing is ever perfect, it also has disadvantages.
1) The messages that are sent via the clipboard are not being queued in our mail queues, this means that the sending is instant. The second you click the send button, your message will arrive.
2) Post editor. Unlike the community mail option, the clipboard has a full post editor, making it a lot easier to add a background, images, change font or colour, etc..
1) The clipboard messages are sent as a group message. This is not a problem for anyone who has an unconverted profile, but people with converted profiles will see a "reply to all" option as their only reply option. Using the reply to all option will send their reply to all members of that particular mail list, which can create a fair amount of confusion. This confusion can be avoided by asking your members not to reply to the message, and explaining why. I've seen several group messages that started in red font saying "Do not reply to this message, or your reply will go to everyone this message was sent to". This seems to work real well, because I very, very rarely see a reply to these messages. As an added bonus, you could also link to a topic at your community (e.g. "to reply to the message, use this topic")
2) Messages sent via the clipboard will also be sent to members who have previously opted out of receiving messages from the group. It is important to add a note about this in your message (e.g. ask members who wish to be opted out of receiving further messages to post in a certain topic on the board). You can then opt them out. More info on this in a bit.
All admin actions, including mailing via the clipboard, require that you are signed in with an account that has admin access to the community you wish to manage.
The admin dashboard of your community can be accessed by clicking the "admin" link in the community's navigation bar.
Mailing members via the clipboard is done differently, depending on how many members you have. Please read this very carefully.
Mailing members when you have 150 members or less.
If you have 150 members or less, mailing all members is easy, here are the instructions:
Click the Manage link in your left sidebar on the dashboard.
This takes you to your full member list.
Click the select all button above your member list (the number on the button will depend on how many members you have).
The members will now appear on the clipboard.
If you have banned members, un-check the box to the left of their names to remove them from the clipboard.
Make sure to click the update clipboard button at the bottom of your page.
Expand the clipboard menu and click the message option. Again, make sure to remove the banned members before using the message function.
The rest is self working, type your message and send it.
Mailing members when you have more than 150 members.
When you have more than 150 members, you need to make mailing lists first. Do not risk sending messages to more than 150 members at once, chances are that the message will send more than once.
How to make mailing lists:
1) Sort your members alphabetically, you can do this by clicking "username" at the top of your member list, as seen in the example below:
After sorting the member list alphabetically, add 150 members to the clipboard, you can do this by checking the boxes to the left of each username, or you can use the 'select this page' button at the top of the member list. Make sure to un-check the boxes next to banned members.
Once you have 150 members on the clipboard, click the blue update clipboard button.
Expand the clipboard menu and click 'Save To List'
Title your list Mail List 1 ad save the changes.
Repeat the above actions for your next 150 members, and the next, etc.. and give each mailing list a different number.
Make sure to clear the clipboard each time you've made a list, and sort your member list alphabetically again so that you can easily find the spot where you left off.
If you find making the mail lists too difficult, feel free to submit a ticket and we'll be happy to do it for you.
Once you have made the lists, you will need to send your group message to each list.
To select the lists, use the advanced search option:
After selecting the list, click the blue Apply Filter button
Next, click select all and update the clipboard.
From this point, follow the instructions for a board with a small member list.
Expand the clipboard menu, click message, compose your message and send it.
Clear the clipboard and repeat the actions for your next list.
Keep repeating until your message has been sent to all mailing lists.
Removing members from your mailing list.
When a member wishes to be removed from the mailing list, simply click the edit icon next to their name in your member list to get to the individual management page of that member.
Scroll down to the List Membership section and UN-check the box next to the mail list this member is in.
Adding members to a mailing list.
This works the same way as removing members.
Click the edit icon next to the member's name in your member list.
Scroll down to the List Membership section.
Check a box next to the list you wish to add this member to.