As you also are aware, we have had many issues that impacted the availability of the forums. Initially, we had issues as we moved to cloud based servers (Microsoft Cloud and Amazon Web Services (AWS). Just recently, availability was impacted by a Denial of Service attack (DDOS). Working with Microsoft and Amazon, we have the attack controlled, and moved behind additional protection.
The past few months also pointed us to the need to overhaul Yuku The Yuku code was written about 15 years ago (way before the first iPhone) and has been patched numerous times. We are at the point the continual patching is creating too many issues, and it is time to give Yuku the modern code it deserves.
We are going to expand the partnership with Tapatalk to help us get to the next stage of Yuku. As part of the partnership, we will soon begin a transition to a rebuilt code base. These are some of the benefits you will see with the new Yuku:
- Improved stability of servers, creating faster response and more up time
- Moving to Tapatalk Groups platform for improved functionality and stability
- Some much needed functionality, including:
- Ability to take your board off line while you make some changes
- Full control over the private message system.
- Easily change your board defaults to a different language.
- Full control over user registration settings.
- Option to allow or disallow bbcode
- Set a limited editing time.
- Bump interval options.
- Option to reset your member’s passwords or emails if they lose their login.
- User groups with security value
- Spam prevention with StopForumSpam and Akismet
While there are several improvements, most things will remain the same, including:
- Your existing forums and members
- For those on Gold, ad removal
But with the new platform, there are going to remove some features that are problematic to support, and will no longer be available:
- Limited number of board skins
- Shoutbox / Chatroom
- Gallery and Album
- Options for members to contribute towards ad-removal
While it is always a challenge to remove some features, we think in balance there will be far more gained than lost.
We expect the new platform will be ready soon. Stay tuned for future announcements, and let us know if you have any questions.
We will begin testing the new platform in about 2-3 weeks, and we like to invite Admins to participate in the Beta. As a Beta partner, you will be able to preview your forum in the new platform. We are looking for Beta Partners that:
Are currently not paying for ad removal
Are using a Yuku domain (not using a private domain)
Are willing to provide candid feedback
If you are interested in previewing the new platform, please fill out this brief form (BTW - in a few weeks we will be adding to the Beta to include forums with ads removed and private domains)
We will post updates on the progress. And we have opened up a feedback forum so you can view the comments from Beta participants. The overhaul is overdue and I hope you are excited as we are about the new platform!