Upcoming Yuku Upgrade

ChrisW

26 May 2017, 04:44 #1

As many of you already know, a few months ago Yuku started a partnership with Tapatalk. Mobile traffic now account for over 50% of the traffic viewing Yuku  forums. Given Tapatalk's expertise in mobile, it was a natural step in the evolution of Yuku.

As you also are aware, we have had many issues that impacted the availability of the forums.  Initially, we had issues as we moved to cloud based servers (Microsoft Cloud  and Amazon Web Services (AWS).  Just recently, availability was impacted by a Denial of Service attack (DDOS).  Working with Microsoft and Amazon, we have the attack controlled, and moved behind additional protection.

The past few months also pointed us to the need to overhaul Yuku  The Yuku code was written about 15 years ago (way before the first iPhone) and has been patched numerous times.  We are at the point the continual patching is creating too many issues, and it is time to give Yuku the modern code it deserves.

We are going to expand the partnership with Tapatalk to help us get to the next stage of Yuku.  As part of the partnership, we will soon begin a transition to a rebuilt code base.  These are some of the benefits you will see with the new Yuku:

• Improved stability of servers, creating faster response and more up time
  • Moving to Tapatalk Groups platform for improved functionality and stability
  • Some much needed functionality, including:
    • Attachments!
    • Ability to take your board off line while you make some changes
    • Full control over the private message system.
    • Easily change your board defaults to a different language.
    • Full control over user registration settings.
    • Option to allow or disallow bbcode
    • Set a limited editing time.
    • Bump interval options.
    • Option to reset your member’s passwords or emails if they lose their login.
    • User groups with security value
    • Spam prevention with StopForumSpam and Akismet

While there are several improvements, most things will remain the same, including:

• Your existing forums and members
  • For those on Gold, ad removal

But with the new platform, there are going to remove some features that are problematic to support, and will no longer be available:  

• Limited number of board skins
  • Shoutbox / Chatroom
  • Gallery and Album
  • Options for members to contribute towards ad-removal

While it is always a challenge to remove some features, we think in balance there will be far more gained than lost.

We expect the new platform will be ready soon. Stay tuned for future announcements,  and let us know if you have any questions.

Beta Preview

We will begin testing the new platform in about 2-3 weeks, and we like to invite Admins to participate in the Beta. As a Beta partner, you will be able to preview your forum in the new platform. We are looking for Beta Partners that:
Are currently not paying for ad removal
Are using a Yuku domain (not using a private domain)
Are willing to provide candid feedback

If you are interested in previewing the new platform, please fill out this brief  form (BTW - in a few weeks we will be adding to the Beta to include forums with ads removed and private domains)

We will post updates on the progress. And we have opened up a feedback forum so you can view the comments from Beta participants. The overhaul is overdue and I hope you are excited as we are about the new platform!
Last edited by ChrisW on 26 May 2017, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
Our support avenues are the support forum here and our desk which can be reached by sending an email to [email protected]
Please do not request support via private message. Thanks

genieliz

26 May 2017, 06:49 #2

Chris, The Gallery & Album which is going to be removed - is that different to the Images album where we store our Yuku images? - I hope they are not getting rid of that feature?

I hope the transition goes smoothly with no further problems - otherwise more members will be lost

Liz

GremlinettesMom

26 May 2017, 07:15 #3

genieliz wrote:Chris, The Gallery & Album which is going to be removed - is that different to the Images album where we store our Yuku images? - I hope they are not getting rid of that feature?
I hope the transition goes smoothly with no further problems - otherwise more members will be lost
Liz
I have the same question, are they doing away with personal albums in Yuku?
Hug Your Furbabies Daily

Nottie

26 May 2017, 11:23 #4

GremlinettesMom wrote:
genieliz wrote:Chris, The Gallery & Album which is going to be removed - is that different to the Images album where we store our Yuku images? - I hope they are not getting rid of that feature?
Liz
I have the same question, are they doing away with personal albums in Yuku?
I too would like an answer to this question. This would be a huge loss to a lot of members. Not just psp and tag making forums either  

Darkness0within

26 May 2017, 15:24 #5

I applaud your efforts to move in the same circles as Facebook and Twitter. However if that is indeed the case you've missed the boat by some years. There is no doubt you will lose more member than you might gain in my opinion. Which is a shame.

Already through many things that have happened in the past you are not doing so well. Being able to help a community board helps to bond that community, and taking that option away will kill some boards. Sending them elsewhere, or into oblivion.

I used to have a board myself on EZ, and Yuku. And remember the posts lost and boards wiped out by you with one of your 'improvements' to your site.

You will do what you want regardless of what I, or others say. We must all remember that this is mostly about the bottom line.

Please... just get it right this time. Oh... And Backup your data please.

ChrisW

26 May 2017, 16:14 #6

Liz, Gremlin, Nottie... Let me reply to the images first. The images, for the time being, will remain where they are and will continue to be there during and after migration. They will not be removed, but you will not be able to manage them during this time.

I don't know yet how the end product will be, but the bottom line at this time is that the images will not disappear. Whatever images you uploaded, will remain.

There is good news for the taggers, actually. You don't need your Yuku albums at all. You will be able to post a picture / tag right from your computer, how cool is that? No need to upload it to your albums or to photobucket first, just add it to your post while you're posting :)
Our support avenues are the support forum here and our desk which can be reached by sending an email to [email protected]
Please do not request support via private message. Thanks

not2foxie

26 May 2017, 16:18 #7

"There is good news for the taggers, actually. You don't need your
Yuku albums at all. You will be able to post a picture / tag right from
your computer, how cool is that? No need to upload it to your albums or
to photobucket first, just add it to your post while you're posting :)"That's the best news yet. I've wanted that for years. Thanks Chris!

Snowy

26 May 2017, 16:27 #8

There is good news for the taggers, actually. You don't need your Yuku albums at all. You will be able to post a picture / tag right from your computer, how cool is that? No need to upload it to your albums or to photobucket first, just add it to your post while you're posting :)
Do you mean straight from your hard drive? I didn't know that could be done. I use Fotki when necessary.
Just thinking............that would be like Facebook. Cool!!
Last edited by Snowy on 26 May 2017, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

GremlinettesMom

26 May 2017, 16:48 #9

The only thing is you need somewhere to store the ones that you use from time to time.....you wouldn't want to store them all on your hard drive. (Or in My Pictures or My Documents)  I myself have thousands of tags & I wouldn't want to store them on my hard drive or those files.  Hee Hee Hee  So I guess some will have to set up albums somewhere else.
Hug Your Furbabies Daily

Snowy

26 May 2017, 16:53 #10

That's why I use Fotki Host. I have around 15,000 images stored there. I plan to keep it and instruct my members to use them if they wish. There's still plenty of room for more................lots more.
Last edited by Snowy on 26 May 2017, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.